Telecoms Under Pressure
Some Quiet Time for Reflection
During the past decade one word, more than any other, jumps to mind when discussing the telecoms industry. PRESSURE.
Service providers are under pressure from the OTTs. Bottom lines are under pressure from the increasing competition. Networks are under pressure from the increased traffic. And vendors are under pressure, because service providers can no longer afford to invest as much as they once did.
The toll of this pressure is clear: declining revenues and market size (=investments), downsizing and lay-offs, increasing mergers and acquisitions and more. Yet in spite of this pressure, the industry as a whole is expected to continuously innovate, feed the ever increasing appetite for data, and to realize the dream of an always on, always connected planet.
Sometimes these opposing forces seem to be pulling the industry apart. Or maybe they are the root cause of all the ‘wild goose chases’ industry players embark upon. Whether it is the search for the next killer app, endless new service generation, or the next virtual technology which promises to cut costs. Maybe this is the raison d'être behind the open-source trend that has hundreds of groups working concurrently to solve the industry woes (and provide free solutions to all).
And yet 2017, more than any other year seems to hold more hope than any other. (Or maybe it’s just my optimistic outlook?) Smart cities and indeed smart everything are on the rise. The amount of connected devices and discussions of IoT is growing, and indeed even 5G investments seem to be arriving faster than expected.
As we enter the holiday season and look forward to a new year, this is a good time to reflect on what we can be thankful for. And there is quite some things to be thankful for in this industry:
- We continue to provide the means to connect all people regardless of race, gender or creed
- Our innovation fuels the worlds discoveries and achievements
- Our people work behind the scenes endlessly to enable everyone to do just a little bit more of what they want to do, be it share their experiences, learn from afar or download the latest video
- We have laid the infrastructure that enables millions around the world to establish businesses (whether physical or virtual) and provide for their families
At ECI we also have a lot to be grateful for:
- In spite of the harsh market situation – we continue to grow
- Dozens of new customers have joined our ranks and continue to do so as our ELASTIC network strategy takes hold
- We continue to serve and to grow alongside some of the biggest and most demanding customers in the world
- We employ thousands of hard-working employees around the world, committed to consistently improving our solutions, challenging our mindsets, and serving our customers.
But there are others who are not so fortunate. From education and health, to disaster response and recovery there are millions out there lacking bare necessities. In this light, ECI has once again decided to donate its holiday funds to charity. This year we’ve chosen to donate to NetHope. NetHope’s projects are as diverse as the organizations that make up their membership. All, however, are unified by one common goal: to make the best use of technology, both at the office and in the field, for the good of those we serve.
To name just a few of their pioneering projects:
- Women and the Web empowers women in Africa to improve their lives with technology.
- Communications equipment, connectivity solutions and crisis data mapping unified and enabled the Ebola effort in West Africa.
- Project Reconnect provides Chromebooks to organizations working with refugees
- The NetHope Solutions Center connects member organizations to ICT tools, training and webinars, and collaborative portals that further technology success in humanitarian work.
While no doubt just a drop of water in an endless sea, we hope that our modest contribution helps those less fortunate. So as we wrap up this year, we hope that others enjoy just a few fruits of our achievements.
This is perhaps a good time to wish you and yours: Season’s Greetings and a Very Happy New Year!
See you on the other side.